On August 21, 1967, the Birmingham, Michigan Alumnae Chapter of Kappa Alpha Theta was officially chartered. Twenty-nine members of the club met at Jean Miller’s home and signed the charter making the long existing club a chapter.
Over the years, the chapter has participated in many philanthropic events and hosted a range of activities. Beginning in 1959, we helped make life better for young girls at Camp Oakland (later called Crossroads for Youth). The home was set up for girls who were wards of Oakland County. Our fundraisers included dances, swim parties, and salad smorgasbord luncheons. In 2000, we began supporting HAVEN (Help Against Violent Encounters Now), an organization that aids battered women and their children. In 2010 we switched our support to Judson Center, which provides a loving, safe, and therapeutic living environment for abused and neglected children, and foster and adoptive children. Today, we are focusing our attention on Wayne County CASA in addition to our support for Theta Foundation.
Our activities over the years have been as fun and diverse as our women. In the 50’s, we encouraged folks to come visit our Apron and Bake sale and buy mother a “gay, colorful apron.” In the 60’s we donned our theatrical hats and got involved in sponsoring the opening night of the zestful, new Broadway comedy by Harry Kurnitz called “Once More with Feeling.” The 70’s brought out our cleverness when we created the Make It, Bake It, or Fake It craft auction. The big 80’s found us celebrating our 20th birthday as an alumnae chapter. In the 90’s and the turn of the millennium, we have added diverse events such as book reviews, jewelry making, cooking demonstrations, and ice cream socials. In 2017, we celebrated our 40th anniversary with a fun party. We look forward to more decades of fun and service with Theta!